Wednesday 23 July 2008

Secondary Cancer Support Group

Ever since I was diagnosed last year I have been asking and asking for Basingstoke Hospital to set up a support group for women who have secondary cancer. There is a very successful one for primary Breast cancer but it does not cater for us women who have secondaries as we want to talk about issues that women who have primary BC do not. Every time I mention the lack of support I am told 'what a great idea'
Well today saw the first meeting of Basingstoke's Secondary Breast cancer Support group! Hurray!. As usual I got myself all wound up and stressed out before going but plucked up my courage and went along. It wasnt quite what I had expected - only two patients attended along with two BC Nurses. Very intensive and full on questioning so left it feeling very drained and tired. I also feel relieved as its so good to talk to other people who are facing the same issues as I am. We talked about our families and friends, their reactions and also facing the future (or lack off). We even compared funeral plans! (yes I have written mine). The nurses are hopeful that more women will come along (some were on holiday)and say that this group will be whatever we want it to be. So I am now raising a large glass of wine and saying 'cheers' and 'best wishes' to the success of Basingstokes Secondary support group. Long may I be around to use it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jools, So glad you found some benefit in your "secondary" group. It really helps to share your issues with people going through the same thing. I often felt better talking to a fellow sufferer and found I could much easier offload my thoughts and fears to another rather than my nearest and dearest. Even though you are going through so much at the moment personally your natural instinct is to protect those closest to you. So speaking to another person in the same situation helps you "offload".
Thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way
Elaine, Yummy

Anonymous said...

Well done you. It must be a great feeling though to be in at the birth of something new. Don't forget...
"From little acorns Great Oaks grow"
Love jennyMac Merseyside. XX