Friday 24 October 2008

All about Nodes

Been doing some research on nodes since my scan. Information for me throughout this journey has always been important - anything i am worried about or want to find out about -simple -I google it. So pay attention!!

According to Wikipedia :Lymph nodes are found throughout the body, and act as filters or traps for foreign particles and contain white blood cells. Thus they are important in the proper functioning of the immune system.
Lymph nodes also have clinical significance. They become inflamed or enlarged in various conditions, which may range from the trivial, such as a throat infection, to life-threatening conditions such as cancers

Still listening??. Now about size
Human lymph nodes are bean-shaped and range in size from a few millimeters to about 1-2 cm in their normal state.[1] They may become enlarged due to a tumor or infection. White blood cells are located within honeycomb structures of the lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are enlarged when the body is infected due to enhanced production of some cells and division of activated T and B cells. In some cases they may feel enlarged due to past infections; although one may be healthy, one may still feel them residually enlarged

Range in size from a few Millimeters!!! -So could my 5mm be nothing?. I am realistic to accept that this might not be the case but as always information for me is a comforting thing. And as people say thinking positive always helps!

Christopher broke up for half term today. Really looking forward to spending the next week doing lots of fun things. We have a couple of days out planned and a cinema trip. I am also hosting an all day halloween party for him and 5 of his friends. We will be pumpkin carving, making lots of crafts and having a scavenger hunt. Then on the actual day itself we will be doing a sponsored walk for St Michaels hospice. As its the place that I have chosen to be at the end of things, its in my best interest to raise as much money for it as possible.
Keeping busy helps -the Doctor at the hospice has encouraged me to look for new hobbies and things to do to fill my days. After all I can't go shopping every day!. I have yoga and amateur dramatics which I enjoy but need things to keep me off my feet. All suggestions welcome!

4 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Its so good to see that you are okay. I've been worried about you since your last post. Your spirit seems brighter...yeah! I think you are doing a great job filling your days. Enjoy your party with your son!!!

Hugs and prayers from St. Louis!
Robin

Trekkie said...

You could try starting a blog.

Oh, hold on.........

No seriously, how about starting a food blog? I know that you like cooking, so write it up, take pictures, create new recipes etc.

Well, it keeps me off the streets ;-)))

Unknown said...

Hi Jools, so pleased you are sounding much more positive today. How about 101 recipes for Apples ha ha !! you must be well on the way now.
Or why not make up a recipe book to sell for the hospice, seasonal recipes will help people to "look forward" Have a little tag line, or two line poem for each recipe to give them hope along the way.
Have a good holiday time with Christopher.
Elaine (Yummy)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you are more positive and that your spirits are up again, well I think I get that from your latest blog entry.
How about doing something like Salsa as long as your energy levels are OK, great fun. I also liked the idea of a recipe book from kewtytwo.
Keep strong lots of love.
Lesley